Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The most amazing Sunday of my life

Call me really lucky. Last Sunday, I experienced the best of Filipino music and movies.

The TV was on while I was dressing up and I caught Karylle singing the Tagalog version of Beyonce's "Irreplaceable." Substitute the lines "You must not know 'bout me/You must not know 'bout me" with "Wala kang kwentang lalake/Marami kang babae," and "I can have another you in a minute" with "Anong akala mo sa akin, marijuana?"

It was groundbreaking, cutting edge. Not since that boy band from That's Entertainment, Quamo, has any singer captured the soul of an American radio hit in Tagalog. Karylle's "Irreplaceable" is now my second favorite "Tagalized" song, after "Umbrella."

"Di ka na mababasa ng ulan/di na, di na/hinde, hinde, de, de." F***in gold!

Then, on the bus to Manila, the 90s Eddie Garcia starrer, "Mayor Latigo" was playing, and it had two full-on bed scenes featuring Sylvia Sanchez. I must say that today's sexpots have nothing on Sylvia Sanchez.

I can rave on and on about the movie. That is how movies in the action genre should be made. It provokes the intellect. It's pure genius, romanticizing the life of a Rizal town mayor who whips his subordinates in the ass to get them to obey the law.

Never mind the rain when I got down from the bus, the taxi I got had 101.1 Yes! FM blaring from huge speakers on the backseat, where I was seated. It was like a head massage.

This is the life!

No comments: