Monday, July 28, 2008

No more taking a cab to work

It was the lamest, most pathetic excuse. The taxi driver charged me an additional P10 even if he did not have an LTFRB sticker. I looked for the sticker. He said he did not put it on his windshield yet because it was raining.

Do I look like I'm stupid? The sticker goes on the interior, not the exterior side of the windshield. I banged the door as I got down and said: "Wala ka na ngang sticker, madaya pa metro mo." Which was true because based on a year's worth of taxi rides from Katipunan to Camp Aguinaldo, I know that it costs P60. A** hole's meter was at P67.50, and we were not stuck in traffic.

I've always rationalized taking a cab to work because at P60, all I do is sit on my ass, versus taking two tricycle rides and a train ride, while it costs between P35-P40, will require me to walk a few hundred meters. The P20 savings was not worth the sweat, I thought.

With the looming P10 increase, and the possibility of a tampered meter, I don't think P80 for a one-way trip is worth it. I can't pick a fight with a taxi driver and go to work angry every morning.

Plus, the P40 savings daily would add up to P200, more than enough for the P185 bus ride to the province.

I tip drivers who pick me up, no questions asked, especially when I’m in a hurry or when it’s raining, and when their meter is not tampered. I ask for the exact change when he tries to bargain for a “dagdag,” or blasts those god-awful, mind-numbing radio stations.

Excuse me sir, but traffic and steep oil prices is not the commuter’s fault, so don’t invoke those two and try to charge extra. You and I bear the brunt. What if I asked for a P10 discount because my salary was not substantially raised this year?

And don’t get me started on your poor excuse for air-conditioning and the public restroom stench in some cabs.

No comments: